Sweet white wine jelly with strawberry sauce recipe
Spiced sweet white wine jelly served with a tangy and fresh strawberry sauce. This gelatin dessert is served cold in a wine glass and looks magnificent with white/golden (white wine) and red (strawberry) colors!
The sweet white wine jelly is made with sweet white wine (duhhh 😉 ), sugar, cloves, cinnamon and unflavored gelatin. When ready to be served, it’s topped with a delicious and fresh strawberry sauce made with sugar and freshly squeezed orange juice. The combination is mind blowing, it has a kick of wine and can be enjoyed as a dessert, jelly cocktail / drink or as a jelly shot when prepared in shot glasses.
What I love about these jellies are their complete adaptability. You can vary the size and content according to your needs / preferences. Just play around with different spices, use champagne or rosé wine instead, and if alcohol is not in the picture, omit it and use juice – like fresh orange or elderflower juice instead. Oh, by the way: when made with champagne it would be an amazing dessert to serve on the New Year’s Eve! Seriously guys, it’s so much fun!
Together with Bulgarian salad and trout with white wine, I find this recipe to be one of the best options for summer entertaining. And although this homemade sweet white wine gelée looks complicated to make, don’t let it fool you, as you’ll be surprised how easy and quick the recipe is!
- WINE JELLY:
- 400 ml sweet white wine (pick your favorite wine)
- 90 gr granulated sugar (more or less to taste)
- 4 cloves
- 1 x 3 cm cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp unflavored gelatin (equals about 3 sheets)
- STRAWBERRY SAUCE:
- 200 gr fresh strawberries, hulled (plus extra to decorate)
- 0,5 orange, juice only
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar (more or less to taste)
- Combine 2 tablespoons of cold water and gelatin in a bowl. Let it stand for 5 minutes*
- Combine sugar, wine, cloves and cinnamon in a saucepan over medium heat. Simmer and stir until sugar has dissolved. Add gelatin mixture, and whisk until melted*. Cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, and let it cool a bit.
- Pour through a sieve into 3 wine glasses and place in the fridge until the jelly has set - preferably overnight.
- When set, blend all the ingredients for the strawberry sauce to a smooth consistency in a food processor and top the wine jellies with the strawberry sauce.
- Then, cut a strawberry almost in half and place on the glass rim.
- Serve cold.
* Please follow the instructions on the package of gelatin you use, because it could possibly differ from my method.
Hi, and welcome!
I’m Jeanette, the blogger behind Lazy Home Cook.
Here I share all my delicious, easy
and family approved recipes with YOU.
Thank you for stopping by!
I’m happy you’re here.