Braised red cabbage with red wine
Braised red cabbage with red wine is an excellent autumn / winter side dish with it’s sweet and sour taste. It’s bright purple, has a glorious texture and the flavor of the red cabbage mingles perfectly with warming spices and red wine. It’s a great recipe to cook for Thanksgiving, Christmas or just anytime.
I find red cabbage just such a lovely vegetable, as it’s healthy and nutritious. I mean, did you know that red cabbage has more vitamin C than oranges? Great, right?!
Anyways, to give red cabbage an extra punch I used red wine. It brings the dish to a whole new level and goes very well with warming spices.
Just give this recipe a try. I’m sure you’ll love the combination of red cabbage, spices and red wine!
More vegetable recipes? Check out my:
Green beans in Indonesian coconut sauce
Long beans and chicken (Surinamese style)
Spinach soup with crispy bacon
- 500 gr red cabbage, core discarded and finely(!) shred
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 gr)
- ¼ tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 star anise
- 120 ml red wine
- 50 gr brown sugar
- 25 gr butter, room temperature
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 2 tbsp apple vinegar
- Add all ingredients, with an exception of vinegar, onion and salt, to a large pan.
- Bring to a simmer. Then cover with a lid, lower the heat and cook for 40-50 minutes*, stirring regularly - so that it doesn’t scorch on the bottom of the pot. If necessary, add a little water.
- Remove the lid and continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, saute the red onion in a skillet till tender.
- Add the onion, vinegar to the red cabbage and season with salt.
- Serve warm.
*If you like your cabbage more soft, let it simmer longer.
Hi, and welcome!
I’m Jeanette, the blogger behind Lazy Home Cook.
Here I share all my delicious, easy
and family approved recipes with YOU.
Thank you for stopping by!
I’m happy you’re here.