Puff pastry sausage rolls with bacon
A juicy and tender homemade sausage mixture wrapped in flaky puff pastry. They taste absolutely amazing, and nobody would ever guess that these delicious sausage rolls are made with such simple ingredients! Seriously guys, homemade sausage rolls don’t come more delicious than these!
In the Netherlands we have something similar to a sausage roll, called sauzeizenbroordje. Yeah, it’s a tongue breaker…just save yourself the bother of trying to pronounce it, haha.
Anyway, I was really craving a Dutch sausage roll, so I decided to try and make it myself. And WOW, it turned out SO good! I just needed to share the recipe with you right away!
The secret to the success of these sausage rolls is, without a doubt, the bacon (don’t we all just love bacon?!). The bacon gives these sausage rolls a great taste and I’m sure that you’ll love this recipe too.
The sausage rolls are perfect for parties or as a snack. Serve them with ketchup.
By the way, curious about Dutch food? Definitely try out my Dutch pancake recipe or Dutch apple turnovers.
- 250 gr (0,5 lb) minced beef or pork
- 5 sheets puff pastry (cut into 12x12 cm)
- 75 gr (2.5 oz) bacon, finely minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 0,5 onion, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp mustard
- 20 gr (2,5 tbsp) panko
- 1 egg, beaten
- Defrost the pastry dough sheets at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 200 ºC and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium high heat and sauté garlic and onion until golden.
- Then, add bacon and cook for 2 min (don’t make bacon golden). Turn off heat and let it cool down.
- Add remaining ingredients, with exception of egg, to a bowl. Season with salt/pepper and add the bacon mixture. Mix until combined.
- Divide the meat mixture into 5 parts*.
- Lay out a sheet of puff pastry, and shape 1 meat part into a long log shape down the middle of the pastry. Make sure that the meat is tight and compact, without gaps.
- Brush edge of pastry with egg. Then roll up, finishing with the seam side down.
- Cut each log into three equal lengths, or just two if you want full size sausage rolls. Brush with egg.
- Repeat the steps above with the remaining meat mixture and puff pastry.
- Place the sausage rolls on the baking tray and bake for 25 - 30 minutes until the pastry is golden/brown and cooked through**.
- Serve with ketchup, and enjoy!
*Its possible to add less meat to the sausage roll. Just divide the meat into 8 parts and use 8 pastry sheets.
**The filling will still look pink because of the bacon, but it's easy to tell from texture that it's cooked.
Hi, and welcome!
I’m Jeanette, the blogger behind Lazy Home Cook.
Here I share all my delicious, easy
and family approved recipes with YOU.
Thank you for stopping by!
I’m happy you’re here.