Pickled eggs with beets recipe
Just look at that vibrant purple/pink color…don’t they just look beautiful?! The eggs have been pickled for (at least) 2 days in a delicious, spiced, tangy and slightly sweet mixture of beets, garlic, onion, vinegar, sugar, cloves and bay leaves. These eggs, bursting with flavor, are very tasty and look absolutely amazing.
Although eggs steal the show, sliced beets and onions are just as good! Pickled eggs with beets make a great appetizer or snack and are a colorful addition to any salad. Also, they look wonderful on the Easter table and are naturally dyed!
This recipe is easy and quick to make with just a few basic ingredients. Whenever I buy beets I tend to make this pickled eggs with beets recipe or my Russian beet soup (borscht).
Anyhow, my family absolutely loves these pickled eggs and they are always a big hit with my guests. I’m positive you’ll have the same success!
- 9 whole hard boiled eggs, peeled
- 1 medium red onion, sliced in thin rings
- 450 gr precooked beets with juice, thinly sliced - not thicker than 0,5 cm. Save the beet juice, about 20 ml.
- 200 ml white vinegar
- 200 ml water
- 90 gr granulated sugar
- 6 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 garlic cloves
- Pinch of salt
- 1 glass jar or plastic container
- In a saucepan combine beet juice, vinegar, sugar, bay leaves, cloves, garlic, water and a pinch of salt.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring for a couple of minutes until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and let it cool a bit.
- Place peeled whole eggs in a glass jar or plastic container and add sliced beets and onion.
- Pour the mixture over eggs, onions and beets. Make sure everything is covered with liquid.
- Cover, and refrigerate at least 48 hours before using.*
- Gently stir or shake pickled eggs once a day for an even color.
*The longer you pickle the eggs, the more flavorsome and colored they get.
Hi, and welcome!
I’m Jeanette, the blogger behind Lazy Home Cook.
Here I share all my delicious, easy
and family approved recipes with YOU.
Thank you for stopping by!
I’m happy you’re here.