Healthy red lentil soup with lemon recipe
Nutritious, warm and comforting. This healthy lentil soup is a great option if you are searching for a healthy, quick, but yet comforting soup. This lentil soup will absolutely make you feel fulfilled, without feeling guilty.
The soup is full of taste thanks to the delicious ingredients we add to it. Especially the lemon makes the taste of the healthy lentil soup pop. Just squeeze a bit of lemon in your soup before serving and you’re ready to go!
You can make the healthy lentil soup more creamy by serving it with a scoop of sour cream and some delicious warm crusty bread with (garlic)butter. That’s my favorite way to eat it. Enjoy!
- 250 gr dried red lentils
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 3 garlic cloves
- 0,5 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 medium tomato
- 1 lemon
- Sour cream/creme fraiche (optional)
- Boil 1.4L water over high heat in a stock pot. Add the lentils with the stock cube and bring to boil.
- Place lid on and turn heat down to medium low. Boil until lentils are soft, around 20 min (see notes). Scoop scum on the surface off and discard whenever this is needed.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat, and add garlic and onion. Cook until onions are soft.
- Add cumin seeds and fry until aromatic, around 5 sec.
- Add all remaining ingredients (except the lemon and sour cream) to the onions. Stir until the tomato gets soft and mushy.
- Add to the lentils.
- Let the soup simmer for about 5 minutes. Add a touch of water if you want to adjust the soup consistency.
- Taste the soup and season with salt. Turn off heat.
- Use your stick blender and do a couple of quick whizzes until you’re satisfied with the consistency of the soup. I prefer the soup to be half blended, so that it still has a bit of a body to it.
- Add a squeeze of lemon juice and a scoop of sour cream just before serving.
- Garnish with parsley and serve with warm crusty bread slathered liberally with butter (optional).
- Cooking time depends on the lentils you use.
Hi, and welcome!
I’m Jeanette, the blogger behind Lazy Home Cook.
Here I share all my delicious, easy
and family approved recipes with YOU.
Thank you for stopping by!
I’m happy you’re here.