Candied Brussels sprouts with apple butter, bacon and fresh apple
If you were never a big Brussels sprouts fan, you will be from now on. I know that many either love Brussels sprouts or hate them, but believe me, nobody will walk away from this dish, which is a hit even with kids!
This recipe contains only 5 ingredients, is super easy to make and comes out so indulgent. The dish will please everybody thanks to the touch of apple butter, crispy bacon and fresh apple pieces, which make a mind-blowing combination together.
Brussels sprout were originally cultivated in Belgium about five centuries ago and today, in my candied Brussels sprouts recipe, they taste almost like candy. I can easily eat the entire batch myself!
In the past, when I traveled to Belgium, which is just a couple of hours drive from my house in The Netherlands, I always thought about tasty chocolate I was going to buy in Brussels…Now everything has changed – I right away think of my favorite Brussels sprouts recipe.
I’m hardly exaggerating saying that this is one of my all-time favorite side dishes. I often serve my candied Brussels sprouts with celeriac and potato mash. It’s an absolute match!
- 500 gr Brussels sprouts, ends trimmed
- 100 gr bacon, chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 apple, finely diced
- 2 tbsp apple butter
- Add Brussels sprouts to a pan with water, bring to boil and cook until al dente. Remove Brussels sprouts from the pan and drain.
- Add oil into a big skillet and cook the onion and bacon over medium-high heat until the onion is softened and the bacon starts to turn crisp and brown, about 5 min.
- Then, add the apple butter to the skillet, and stir until most of the liquid of the butter has perforated, about 2 min. Add apple pieces, and cook for about 1 minute while stirring.
- Then add the Brussels sprouts and cook till Brussels sprouts are cooked through. Season with salt/pepper and serve.
Hi, and welcome!
I’m Jeanette, the blogger behind Lazy Home Cook.
Here I share all my delicious, easy
and family approved recipes with YOU.
Thank you for stopping by!
I’m happy you’re here.