Russian eggplant recipe
The ingredients are very simple, but the flavors are absolutely spectacular!
If you love eggplant, you will love this recipe. If you never liked eggplant recipes much, I believe this one will definitely change your mind.
I have learned this delicious Russian recipe from my mother-in-law, and was surprised how little ingredients were used. I love the simplicity of this dish and it tastes incredible with crusty bread. We like to serve it as an appetizer or side dish. But I often just eat it for lunch with bread…. yum.
If you cook vegetables a bit longer, the dish will turn into a delicious brown eggplant spread called “Ikra”. I often cook it that way too, but in the photo you see that the vegetables have started to become soft, but have not turned into Ikra yet. I enjoy eating it both ways.
Anyway, this eggplant recipe only contains vegetables like eggplant (duhh :p ), zucchini, tomatoes and capsicum. It’s simply satisfying and packed with fresh flavors.
I’m sure that this healthy Russian vegetable recipe will not disappoint you!
By the way, curious about Russian food? Definitely try out my:
- 2 medium eggplants (580 gr), skin removed & cut into small cubes
- 1 small zucchini (180 gr), cut into small cubes
- 2 medium tomatoes (240 gr), cut into small cubes
- 1 big red bell pepper (93 gr), finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Heat a big skillet with oil over medium/high heat. Add eggplant and zucchini, cook for about 15 minutes until softened and moist. Stir from time to time.
- Then, add more oil if needed and add onion, garlic and bell pepper to the skillet. Cook for about 10 minutes more and stir from time to time.
- Add tomatoes and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Now, lower heat, add more oil if needed, and let it simmer for about 30 to 40 minutes until cooked through, juices have evaporated and the vegetables turned into a brown eggplant spread (ikra). Stop cooking a bit earlier if you wish to make the dish in the photo.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Hi, and welcome!
I’m Jeanette, the blogger behind Lazy Home Cook.
Here I share all my delicious, easy
and family approved recipes with YOU.
Thank you for stopping by!
I’m happy you’re here.