Homemade Russian dough (for pelmeni or vareniki)
An easy and quick dough recipe that’s perfect to use for making Russian vareniki or pelmeni. The dough is soft, easy to knead and so versatile!
Not many ingredients go into this recipe, and unlike some other dumpling dough recipes, this one has never failed me! If the dough is too wet, add a bit more flour. If it’s too hard, add a bit more water. Allowing the dough to rest for 1 hour will soften it to the perfect consistency.
I’ve seen many recipes that add a lot of butter, sour cream, etc. to the dough. This dumpling recipe is basic and simple, but makes the best vareniki or pelmeni dumplings!
As we use to say in Holland: “Why make it difficult, if it can be done easy?”
- 420 gr all purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 240 ml lukewarm water
- 1 tsp salt
- Sieve flour into a big bowl, add salt and mix.
- Make a well in the center, crack an egg into the center and use a fork to stir the egg into the flour.
- Then, slowly add water while kneading and knead until the dough forms a sticky ball.
- Transfer the dough onto a floured surface and knead until the dough is soft, about 5 minutes. The dough should not be sticky by now. Cover the dough with a damp cloth and let it rest for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, turn to the dough. Knead it for about 1 min on a lightly floured surface and start making your dumplings!
Hi, and welcome!
I’m Jeanette, the blogger behind Lazy Home Cook.
Here I share all my delicious, easy
and family approved recipes with YOU.
Thank you for stopping by!
I’m happy you’re here.