crispy and spicy sweet potato fries with cumin
Crispy, sweet and spicy…such a beautiful combination!
These spicy sweet potato fries are extremely addicting and healthy. Only two tablespoons of oil is needed to create a big batch of these beautiful fries. Once you made these beauties for the first time, you will make them over and over again.
I started making these spicy sweet potato fries when my son started taking his first bites of solid food. I wanted him to start with something healthy and nutritious, so I bought 1,5 kg of sweet potato. I just didn’t realise that he (of course!) would only eat a couple of spoons a day, so I was left with a lot of sweet potato to finish.
I decided to call my brother and ask him for some sweet potato recipe. He told me that he likes to make sweet potato fries from the oven with salt. To me it seemed like a great option, but I always like to spice it up a bit.
So I added some smoked capsicum powder, salt, cumin and garlic powder to the recipe and eventually created this ‘spicy sweet potato fries’ recipe.
It turned out to be a big hit! I make these potato fries on a regular base now, because my husband absolutely loves them. I like to serve these fries with any hamburger, like my fresh pita burger.
Anyway, I hope you will love this recipe too. Try it out and let me know how you liked it.
- 600 gr sweet potato
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3 tbsp of cornstarch or flour
- 1 tsp smoked capsicum powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1,5 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 200° Celsius.
- Wash sweet potatoes (leave skin on) and cut off the ends.
- Cut in half lengthwise. If they are too long, cut in half crosswise.
- Cut into fries of around 1 cm thick.
- Put the sweet potato fries in a big bowl and add 2 tbsp of oil. Make sure all the fries are coated with oil.
- In a separate bowl mix all the dry ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the sweet potato fries and mix with hand. Make sure all the fries are covered with the spices.
- Take out a roasting pan or baking sheet (one that can take high heat) and cover with parchment paper.
- Spread the sweet potato fries out in a single layer on the roasting pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes. After the first 15 minutes, remove the roasting pan from the oven and use tongs to turn over all of the sweet potato fries.
- Return to the oven and bake for another 15 minutes, or until they are well browned.
- Leave the skin on the sweet potato for a more crispy bite.
Hi, and welcome!
I’m Jeanette, the blogger behind Lazy Home Cook.
Here I share all my delicious, easy
and family approved recipes with YOU.
Thank you for stopping by!
I’m happy you’re here.